Duration:23 h 59 m
Author:Nadezhda Yudovskaya, Konstantin Faizullin
ABOUT THE COURSE
A narrative designer is a unique and rare specialist. He substantiates gameplay systems with mechanics, connects all the events in the game with a single plot, plus analyzes the tasks set and understands the time frame he can complete them.
In the course, we will explain how narrative helps the game mechanics work like a well-coordinated mechanism. We will also analyze the main stages of creating the game world, taking into account the genre and setting. We will separately dwell on how to draw up documents and plan work in a team, learn how to give feedback constructively and correctly perceive criticism. After each lecture, there is homework waiting for you – these will be real tasks that a narrative designer faces every day.
PURPOSE OF THE COURSE
During the training, you will become closer to the profession of a narrative designer and learn how to create the main thing in games – an interesting story. In 3 months, teach you how to correctly and systematically approach the storytelling in games – analyze existing mechanics and understand what restrictions they impose on the narrative and how to reveal them potential.
What will you do on the course
- Connect gameplay and story so that they complement each other
- Prepare design and concept documents and pitch your ideas
- Think structurally and sell your ideas to developers
- Write dialogues, build a narrative through the environment and understand the features of game dramaturgy
- Create scenario structures and schemas
- Invent characters, their motivations and conflicts
- Design quest and dialogue systems
- Design the game world
- Plan your time and work as a team