Drapery – The Russian Approach by Iliya Mirochnik (2023)
In this 8-week program, Iliya Mirochnik will be your guide to the Russian Academic method of observing and drawing drapery. You will learn how to properly capture the six different types of folds in your drawings. Iliya will demonstrate the impact gravity has on fabric and how incorporating folds in your artwork can add movement. By the end of this course, you will have a complete understanding of how to incorporate cloth and folds into your drawings, resulting in a beautifully draped, clothed figure.
Week 1: Introduction to the Pipe Fold
- Overview of the Pipe Fold structure and its key elements
- Techniques for reconstructing the Pipe Fold from imagination
- Analytical approach to drawing drapery
Week 2: Mastering the Diaper Fold
- Study of the Diaper Fold and its elements
- Techniques for identifying the “eyes” of the fold
- Constructing the Diaper Fold from imagination and life observation
Week 3: The Art of Half-Lock Fold
- Analysis and rendering of the Half-Lock Fold
- Adding realism to drawings with cast and occlusion shadows
- Enhancing the illusion of three-dimensional space
Week 4: The Zigzag Fold in Detail
- Observing, constructing, and rendering the Zigzag Fold
- Drawing the fold when hanging from a point of tension or over cylindrical forms
- Understanding the movement and fabric weight of the fold
Week 5: The Beauty of the Spiral Fold
- Rendering the Spiral Fold, seen in loose-fitting sleeves and pant legs
- Expanding your ability to describe drapery, movement, and fabric weight
Week 6: Understanding Inert Cloth
- Techniques for drawing and rendering inert cloth or cloth resting on a surface
- Applying knowledge of fabric weight and fold construction to complete the drawing
Week 7: Draped Figure – Part I
- Drawing fabric over a figure
- Grouping values over a large area to create separation and unity in the drawing
Week 8: Draped Figure – Part II
- Refining halftones and shadows to bring the draped figure drawing to a polished finish
- Clarifying the texture and secondary forms of the fabric to add depth to the drawing.
thank you so much
Thank you for posting this.
Video file “vid 06” in “04 Zig Zag Fold” is missing. Or is it a naming error?
hmm, hard to say. If you can check it and let me know that would be great. Thanks
Firstly, thank you so much for the all uploads! And I checked the files and it is not a naming mistake. “vid 06” in “04 Zig Zag Fold” is really missing.
Video file “vid 06” in “04 Zig Zag Fold” is missing
missing “04 Zig Zag Fold” –vid 06. Thanks.
Hey do you have the course from paper to camvas of Joseph Todorovich? here in NMA, thank you
need to check
Does anyone have Michael Mentler “Figure Drawing in the Renaissance Tradition?
Missing file added! Thx for your attention! Enjoy!
Hello uploader/strawberry. Can u please check if u have the course ” Still life painting in the sight size method” from NMA.
that is missing